13/04/2013

Time for a post, I presume


Earlier today I was reminded of this little story I’d written a couple of years back, and after a profound search of my Bermuda Cube (aka wooden chest of old binders) found it.  
Judging on the other stuff in there I’d put it somewhere 2002 /2003.
 ____________

The Cliffs



Hey! Hey you… yes.. you.  Sitting on that cliff. Can’t you hear me? 
No, of course you can’t. Your kind never can. Anyway, I am down here. Maybe you could see me if you tried. Nice you like those cliffs. See, I live in them. Wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-y down where they begin. In a cave.

Under the sea. Which is actually a very stupid expression, come to think of it. I don't live under the sea. I live *in* the sea. Under the sea... is sand. And rocks. Crabs live there. I don't. I live in a cave in the cliffs.

They sing. Those rocks. You know they are singing rocks, don’t you? Oh I wish you knew… maybe we could be friends if you only could hear them. But it’s okay if you just think they look pretty. Because they are. You know what? I’ll like you just because you like them.

They sing to me when I feel alone. And I sing with them, because I am part of them. You know I often wonder if any of your kind can hear them, but you people never sing. I guess you can't.

I really can't think what you people do up there all day. It’s weird, you know? Sitting around or hobbelling on those funny looking things. Weird. Makes you look so fragile. No power. 

I can swim. I can jump! Right out of the water. High into the air and do a flip and a big big splash, that’s fun! I am so sorry you can never do that with those… things.

I just wish I wasn’t so alone. See, I am the only one like me. There are fish, yes. There are lots of critters and the caves and all the water, oh the water! But no one like me. No where. 

I have tried to make friends with someone like you before… no worries. Not going there again. At first, I crawled out of the water and… and… I cannot breathe. I can’t speak. I can’t sing. I can't jump. I just sat there, and they laughed at me. In the end, I nearly didn’t even manage to get back. After that I hid in my cave for a long time. But the fish didn’t laugh at me, so I came back out again.

Then, I went and…  you know… oh it was awful! See, there was someone, sitting there, right where you are, and for a moment, I thought they would like to see my world down here…and…and. Well. Turns out your kind can’t breathe down here just as much as I can’t breathe up there. I had to let go. I will never do that again. I promise.

Sometimes I find things, things that belong up there. I am not all sure what they are, but they remind me. Some things you can wear, even though it's totally beyond me why you would want to wear that? But I put them on anyway. It makes me feel like I belong to.. something. But only for a short while as I have no idea as to what.

Some things you can look at. Some are rather pretty, but never as pretty as my things. But still, I keep them. Then I don’t feel so lonely.

I guess I talk quite a lot, what? Well, doesn’t matter as you can’t hear me anyway. I wonder what it is like to know someone you don’t have to talk to, because they already know. Do you know someone like that? I don’t. I am not sure someone like that exists, but it’s a nice idea, isn’t it?

Well anyway, I am happy you like my cliffs. They are very  beautiful even up there.  Of course not as marvellously beautiful as down here, as they are.. so.. dry.. up there. No light breaking in the water. No sparkles. No plants, no fish. No song. I wish I could show you how much more beautiful they are down here. I’m so sorry I can’t.

But I have to leave now. I have to swim. I will be back, after all this is my home. 
But, I have a secret. I am on a mission. I will go and search. This world is so big...  I just can’t believe I am really the only one.

I go searching. For someone I don’t need to talk to. Someone with fins.




5 comments:

  1. Anonymous13/4/13 07:51

    This is beautiful! I think we all feel like this at some time or another. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!! That's so amazing and so very beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was beautiful and sad... You made me feel his/her loneliness under my skin. Would really like to hear more from this character!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so wonderful!!!!
    Can't wait to see who appears on The Path!
    xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think there will be a sequel. Ten years, and a lot of swimming later, I can say that just because someone has fins that doesn't mean they like you. Or care for you. or anything.

    ReplyDelete